Wednesday, June 23, 2010

David Derrico-- Twiller


David Derrico was born just north of Miami, Florida, and developed his appreciation for complex moral issues while receiving a degree in philosophy from the University of Florida in Gainesville. He wrote his first novel, Right Ascension, before attending law school at the University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall). Derrico currently lives in South Florida, and has written three novels: Right Ascension and its sequel, Declination, along with a humorous novel called The Twiller. He maintains a website at www.davidderrico.com.


The Twiller is a comedic novel that follows Ian, our hapless hero, as he's whisked around the Universe after his abduction from Earth. His companion, the Twiller, is about the only alien being who treats humans better than toenail lint. Ian is faced with a series of humorous and bizarre experiences on the worlds he visits, utterly failing to realize the slight similarities to places here on Earth.

Q: What will e-readers like about your book?
I really enjoyed writing this book, and I hope my readers will share in the sense of fun and enjoy the humor of it. It is a departure from my first two novels, which were more serious space opera sci-fi, and takes the form of a humorous romp across the galaxy, where our hero is struck by the bizarre and inane situations he encounters, and their similarities to what he's experienced on Earth. I think there will be things in the book that any reader can relate to: frustrations over traffic, or airport security lines, or current world events.

Q: Why did you go indie?
I did the well-chronicled "spend hundreds of dollars on postage and submit to hundreds of publishers and agents" thing many years ago, and it seemed all the submissions went into black holes -- only one agent even offered to read the book, and I decided not to work with that agent due to his reputation. I was discovered by a small publisher who bet on e-books about 10 years too early and sadly went out of business. More recently (after taking a break to pay some bills), I've become re-devoted to my writing, re-editing my first two novels and writing my third, and the opportunity to maintain complete artistic control (over the cover, formatting, etc.) and reach thousands of readers directly was everything I was looking for. Staying indie also allows me to make reader-friendly choices regarding low pricing, releasing the e-book first, enabling text-to-speech, and making it DRM-free -- all things I think big publishers are missing the boat on.

Q : Who are your favorite authors?
My reading tastes tend toward science fiction, where I'm a big fan of Timothy Zahn. As for thriller/horror, I never thought I would like Stephen King until I realized that he wrote Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption (which became one of my favorite movies of all time). Once I read that King novella (and the others in Different Seasons), I've become a fan of his writing.


"Always Write" blog
: http://www.davidderrico.com/blog
The Twiller: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SE7LPW

No comments:

Post a Comment