Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Jess C. Scott--The Devilin Fey




Jess C. Scottis an author/artist/non-conformist, and is an English/Business senior at Adams State College. She doesn't like labels but the MBTI is fascinating; according to that, she's an INFJ.

Jess’s literary work has appeared in a diverse range of publications, such as Word Riot, ITCH Magazine, and The Battered Suitcase. She is currently working on a “seven deadly sins” series (and two other urban fantasy projects, including a draft for her first full-length novel featuring an incubus/succubus).

THE DEVILIN FEY:

A novella of two stories, featuring an incubus and succubus.

Story #1 features a demure young woman unleashing the “devil in” her, through the intimacy with an incubus. Story #2 features a voyeuristic succubus driven by jealousy and a dangerous fixation.

The Devilin Fey features in the short story collection, 4:Play, and is approximately 33,000 words long.

What about your book might appeal to readers?

It's fresh, edgy, and contemporary. In one reviewer’s words: “I loved how well the fantasy elements mixed in with the modern world...I loved that both the male and female version of this creature got their own stories." Another reader calls me "edgy, impressive, and mildly scary" (which I take as a compliment!).

Why did you go indie?

A literary agency told me (regarding a multiple-genre-crossing short story collection): “As a writer, you will certainly go places. As an agency, we are not quite the right match to represent you, as much as I enjoyed your work. Your scope and style are fresh and interesting. Keep writing. You are sure to find the right niche with the right editor. We wish you the best of luck.”

Putting my work (mainstream and alternative) out there beats sitting around waiting for something to happen.

I love the speed + efficiency of indie publishing. It suits the way I work just fine.

Who are your favorite writers?

Edgar Allan Poe, Oscar Wilde, D. H. Lawrence, Anais Nin, Roald Dahl, Vladimir Nabokov, Ryokan (Japanese Zen Poet), Shakespeare.

From Jess:

I am currently seeking Amazon reviews for The Devilin Fey, and am providing a FREE review copy to folks who'd like to read/review the book. More info on my website.

TDF on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ODIWZU/
Email: missfeyATgmailDOTcom

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,
    I am one of the authors featured on this blog. I read your book and loved it! I just wrote a review for Amazon.com. Wonderful and unusual story. Keep on writing!
    Christa Polkinhorn
    Author of "Love of a Stonemason"
    www.christa-polkinhorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christa,

    Thanks so much! -- glad you liked it. I remember some parts of the first story took quite a lot of "work" to edit/fix/etc...did my best to keep the plot running along smoothly.

    The Amazon review is much appreciated too :)

    P.S. Viewing your author Q&A -- you've a cool background. I like Gabriel García Márquez's works too, lol.

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete